Sunday, March 3, 2013

Garden, Tinctures and Prospects

Here is a little update into my life:


I had a few tinctures finish up: licorice root, peppermint, and oregano.  I’ve said this in a previous
post, but I’m most excited about my licorice root.  I think it has a lot of helpful benefits.  For example, in the book “The Healing Remedies Sourcebook,” it lists licorice root as being a “...demulcent (relieving inflammation), expectorant (used to treat coughs), with laxative and alterative properties.  It has been used with muscle problems because of its anti-inflammatory, antiarthritic properties.  Licorice is antibacterial and antiviral.”  Also, it is used in many formulations to activate and increase the effects of other herbs (http://www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail102.php).  But, again, this is to be used in moderation as licorice may increase blood pressure, water retention and should not be used by pregnant women.    

My peppermint finished up, too.  I’m finding many interesting things to put that in.  I put it in my tea, which is awesome.  I also put a bit in my kefir drink, as well.  I like the taste, but it also has some beneficial qualities: it aids in digestion; it’s a mild stimulant; carminative (relieves flatulence); and it’s antispasmodic.  Overall, I think I may use it for the taste than anything else.  




Aside from tinctures, I’m trying to start up my hydroponic gardening.  I haven’t had the best of luck in the past, with aphids eating through my stems on my first attempt.  On the second attempt, I didn’t have enough light, and my seedlings just fell over.  But, now, I think I may have reached a point where the seedlings are working out, and I can finally move them on to the next step, which is putting them in my hydroponics system.  At that point, I will probably be up against a whole new slew of problems and difficulties, but, I’m up for the challenge!  So far, I have 7 bell pepper seedlings that have sprouted.  I moved them from their germination chamber (a tupperware container) to their intermediate step: I put them in their net cup with hydroton and into a red solo cup with their nutrient.  I did this to get them closer to the light, but also, I won’t move them to my hydroponics system until I see roots sprouting from the bottom of the rock wool.  I can’t wait, and I hope to have peppers by early summer (fingers crossed)!

If everything goes well with that, I have a few more plant projects that I plan to start here in the near future.  First, I want to start a batch of some California Poppy, so I can make my own, homemade tincture, which I find very useful.  I’m thinking I’ll probably plant these hydroponically, too, but in a much simpler rock and water system.  I think if I do it this way, I can plant them closer together.  Secondly, I’m going to begin making a pepper plant bonsai, or bonchi.  I’m pretty excited about this, too.  I love the look of bonsai trees, and what could be better than to add a bit of color with the multi-colored peppers!  This is going to take some time to do properly.  I have to grow it in soil, and get it pretty big so I have a nice base stem.  It’ll probably be a year + long project.  Finally, I got some easter egg radish seeds for my girlfriend, and some catnip... for me.

Well, that’s what I have going on right now.  Leave a comment and tell me what your plans or projects are for the spring/summer/new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment