Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Tincture a Day... Licorice, Garlic and Oregano Tinctures

My small collection of tinctures
Lately, I’ve become more interested in natural health remedies.  I think it began during my bouts with insomnia.  At the time I knew that the insomnia I had wasn’t very severe but it still wreaked havoc on my energy levels the next day.  So, I looked for ways to help me fall asleep at night.  I began to take sleeping pills, but I was worried about the continued use of these drugs because I knew they could be addictive; it even said so on the box!  Aside from that, they left me groggy in the morning, and for the better part of the afternoon.  I didn’t really like that.  Then I found another drug, or more accurately, a hormone, melatonin.  I like this one.  It still made me groggy in the morning, but not as bad.  However, after some time of taking it, I had to begin increasing the doses.  After finding out that this was a hormone and understanding the basic science behind hormones and neurotransmitters, I came to the conclusion that it was similar to what was happening to the brain during a cocaine addiction.  Basically, your brain gets used to the elevated hormone levels (or neurotransmitter levels) and requires more of that chemical.  I know my brain can produce melatonin on its own, so I was just adding to that by a lot.  Now, I only take melatonin when I really need to fall asleep, and I divide the pill into quarters.

After doing a bit more googling about certain sleep aids, I happened upon a tincture of California Poppy Seed extract.  I was worried about it containing opium, since it said poppy in the name.  But, I found out it was from a different genus or species of plant and was non-narcotic.  So, I took bought it and started taking it twice a day.  And it worked! I didn’t feel groggy, and I actually started to wake up earlier and more refreshed.  As with anything, though, I don’t take it all the time, as moderation, I feel, is key.  But, that kind of inspired me to find out what other plants made by natural means, not synthesized in labs, could be beneficial to me and how I can extract those beneficial properties.

Everybody should have some experience with this; we have all made, either, tea or coffee.  That is, essentially, an extraction of the beneficial properties of the plant or seed.  So, a baby step of mine was making a tea...wait for it... out of garlic!  I made it for my girlfriend.  The reason being is that it has, purportedly, amazing cold/flu/sickness fighting properties within that awesome tasting little bulb.  Let me tell you, that amazing taste isn’t very amazing when it’s concentrated; I had to fight tooth and nails to get my girlfriend to drink it, as she felt a cold coming along in her lungs.  She hated it. I didn’t much care for it, either, and we both suffered through some awesome(?)/awful garlic breath (I persuaded her by saying I would have some with her).  To her chagrin, she no longer felt that cold creeping up on her the next day!

After that I began making tinctures of some simple things, like: oregano, garlic, peppermint, and licorice root.  All out of fresh or dried leaves, roots or bulbs and some grain alcohol or vodka.  I think they work great.  When I’m getting a stuffy nose, I take a bit of the oregano tincture and some of the garlic tincture and the next day I can breath again.  But, I do have to say the garlic smell is STRONG!!! But, I like it.  I’m very excited about my licorice root tincture finishing up here in the next month.  As I like to do combat sports like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I’m starting back up with Thai boxing, I get some nice bruises and muscle aches.  Licorice root has anti-inflammatory properties, by working in similar ways to hydrocortisone, as well as alleviate stress and anxiety.  

As I continue to make more of these tinctures, I think I may sell a few of these, here and there.  I make very small amounts, but definitely more than what I can consume.  So, if you’re interested in something I’ve talked about, let me know in the comment section.  Also, if you would like me to make you one, let me know about that, too.  As I become more proficient at making these tinctures, I may even step into the distillation of essential oils.  I just have to make my own distillation apparatus.  The distillation process can be very fun, as I’ve done a few distillations in my organic chemistry class :)

Finally, if you have used any tinctures before, or even found some interesting plant or natural product that you’ve used to help with something, please tell me in the comment section! I always find it interesting when someone uses non-conventional ways to help themselves and forgo pharmaceutical drugs.

7 comments:

  1. wildflowers grow herFebruary 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

    I have to say, I am interested in hearing more on these remedies. A group of people at work were dropping like flies, with the flu. I read about your garlic experience with your girlfriend. I threw one clove of garlic in my smoothie. Well, not the best tasting smoothie I ever had. I’m sure I had garlic breath, that would even keep casper away. ewewew…..
    Good news, I am still going strong and not going home sick.
    I have been getting cramps/kinks in my neck. Either from sleeping wrong or all day sitting in an office chair. Is there a tincture that you recommend that would help with muscle spasms & of course kinks in da neck. Wildflowers grow here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you didn't get sick! It's unfortunate for everyone else that they got sick, though. Not many people are very receptive of trying different methods to combat colds and other illness(that aren't very severe).

    As for your neck, poppy seed extract may work, so would licorice root. Valerian root may help you get better sleep and reduce the chance of getting the spasms or kinks in the neck. I'll look into it a bit more and let you know what I find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
    There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks

    My blog post; sleeping aid

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason there was a comment that didn't get posted; not really sure why. But, yeah, go ahead and share my blog. Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make all of our own tinctures and extracts from organic, wild plants here on the farm in the highlands of Panama (Boquete). They work very well for many common ailments and are much cheaper and have no bad commercial shit in them. In many ways they are a great alternative.Kevin is doing the right thing by styarting slowly and working with well known herbs. Its a great way to begin the adventure into natural healing. Good Luck guys and keep up the good blogging. Dianne Heidke (Cloud Forest Botanicals- Boquete, Panama)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We make all of our own tinctures and extracts from organic, wild plants here on the farm in the highlands of Panama (Boquete). They work very well for many common ailments and are much cheaper and have no bad commercial shit in them. In many ways they are a great alternative.Kevin is doing the right thing by styarting slowly and working with well known herbs. Its a great way to begin the adventure into natural healing. Good Luck guys and keep up the good blogging. Dianne Heidke (Cloud Forest Botanicals- Boquete, Panama)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man's lives, such as uncontrolled huge amounts, definitely not while countries furthermore reefs, challenging to seismic disturbance upward perfect apply. Auntie blues tincture

    ReplyDelete