Tuesday, January 15, 2013

First Time for Everything


Being as this is my first blog post, I was hesitant to make it about anything less than some spectacular topic.  But, let’s just make this a tribute to what could have been, in the same theme as Tenacious D’s song, “Tribute.”  In actuality it’s not even a tribute, it’s a little primer on myself and what I intend to blog about.  First of all, many of my opinions, even though they are dear to me, can change and will change either by persuasive debate or experience.  “The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind.” - William Blake.  With that being said, I will probably talk about things that may vary quite drastically from what you think, however I won’t try to get too involved in the hot topics of the time... maybe.  I think i’ll write a lot about doing things for the first time.  I started getting into gardening and hydroponics for the past few years, but I have never had anything to show for the hydroponics; all my plants have been attacked by bugs.  As for the gardening, this is the first year (2012) that I’ve really tried to do it, but it’s container gardening because I don’t have land, yet, that I can use.  That has been a real trial and error process much unlike I’ve experienced before.  For both, hydroponics and container gardening, I think it has something to do with not having all the right equipment, e.g. lights, and climate control. But, I will get it one day.
And that brings me to my next topic I will probably write about: sustainable living.  I’ve only scratched the surface with (trying) to grow my own vegetables.  Since I’m still learning about this I’m not exactly sure what I’ll write about dealing with this, maybe helping raise chickens (my mom’s), talking to neighbors about bartering and trading things, and if I can ever get to the mountains, foraging.  With foraging, I’m both excited and apprehensive about the idea.  I’d like to find things that are useful to me in the wild, but I’d be worried about getting something I think is useful and finding out later that I gave myself a stomach ache or something worse.  So, I won’t do that until I have a knowledgeable friend; maybe that could be you!!
Another topic of interest will be nutrition, eating right, and eating foods that can help with common ailments.  In the past year or so, I’ve gained interest in nutrition and how that affects our bodies.  Then, that stemmed to what can I eat that will help with headaches or chest colds or just plain eating things that will provide me with similar things that probiotic/vitamin supplements purport to provide.
Now these are just a few things that I will be focusing on, and I hope that you will take an interest in what I have to say.  One thing that should be known is that I’m not a professional in anything I write about.  So, I won’t advise anyone do anything that I’ve done, but if you want to give it a whirl, go right on ahead (I’m just not liable!!!)  
In the next post I will write a bit more about myself. Doesn’t that make you excited :)

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to hear more about you!!! I am looking forward to hearing more about you & gardening. My gardening experience is a little to be desired. So learning and reading your trials & successes will be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, looks like we're in the same boat. I hope we can learn something together!!

      Delete